Northampton announce arrival of Southampton midfielder Joe O'Brien-Whitmarsh

Northampton Town have signed midfielder Joe O’Brien-Whitmarsh from Southampton for an undisclosed fee.

The 21-year-old has signed a three-year deal at Sixfields and becomes Northampton’s 9th new signing of the 2026 summer transfer window.

O’Brien-Whitmarsh has previously been a regular for Southampton’s B-team, while he has also made three appearances for Southampton’s first team and had a loan spell with Accrington Stanley, for whom he scored 3 goals in 13 games during the 2024/25 campaign.

Northampton manager Chris Hogg told the club’s website that O’Brien-Whitmarsh represented a fine piece of business for the club.

He said, “This is a good deal for the club. Not only is his signing extra competition in the central midfield area here and now, it is a good signing for the club for the future too. As with Matty Warhurst’s signing, we are planning and looking for players who can help impact and improve the squad here and now but who also have the potential to grow and develop further in the future and Joe is a very good addition for us.

“He was at the game on Saturday and he liked what he saw of the club. There was other interest in him but we have managed to get the deal over the line and that’s very good news.”

 Read more on CItiblog at citiblog.co.uk

More from Local News and Sport