Government to consider new law to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from royal line of succession

The government is to consider introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal line of succession, Sky News understands.

The former duke was arrested and interviewed under caution on Thursday over allegations of misconduct in public office.

Any such move by the government would only happen once the ongoing police investigation into the former duke has concluded.

For Buckingham Palace, removing Andrew was "purely a matter for parliament" and it "would never get in the way of that or oppose the will of parliament", a source told The Times.

Calls have been growing in recent days for the King's brother to be removed from the line of succession.

But any such changes will require consultation and agreement with the other realms of the Commonwealth.

Chief Secretary to the Treasury James Murray told Sky News: "The government is considering any further steps that might be required, and we're not ruling anything out.

"But at this stage, it would be inappropriate for us to go any further because there is a live police investigation under way."

Andrew is eighth in line to the throne, behind Prince William and his three children, and Prince Harry and his two children.

A YouGov poll showed that 82% of the British public would support removing him from the line of succession.

Only 6% disagreed and 12% said they did not know.

Andrew had his royal titles removed by the King last year as part of the fallout from his association with Jeffrey Epstein.

He has denied any wrongdoing over his links to the paedophile financier, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.

The Metropolitan Police is now speaking to the former duke's protection officers in connection with the latest release of the Epstein files.

The force said in a statement that officers were "aware of the suggestion that London airports may have been used to facilitate human trafficking and sexual exploitation".

Read more from Sky News:
How Iran might be preparing for potential US strike
Teen couple found dead at holiday park

A spokesperson added that detectives were "contacting former and serving officers who may have worked closely, in a protection capacity, with Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor".

Earlier on Friday, officers were seen conducting a second day of searches at his former home in Berkshire.

His sister, Anne, the Princess Royal, ignored questions on the case during a visit to a factory in Sheffield.

A reporter shouted: "Afternoon, your royal highness, how do you feel about your brother's arrest?"

The princess did not respond.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Government to consider new law to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from royal line of succe

 Local news content from CItiblog - read more at citiblog.co.uk

More from UK News